Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Rice, Oh how I love you!

As a lot of people know, me and cell phones go way back. We're bffs.  I don't know why, but for some reason I am cursed with my cell phone luck.

My first phone I destroyed was completely my fault, I chucked it and it hit the lovely cinder block walls of the dorms at SUU, and it snapped right in two. Darn.

I had to go back to using my old phone. One day (still in the SUU dorms) I was doing laundry in another building, and I brought it back to my building to put in the dryer. My arms were full, so I threw everything on top of my wet laundry (including my cell phone) and then I tossed it all in the dryer!  When I realized that my phone was missing and the last place that I had seen it was on top of my laundry, I instantly booked it down three flights of stairs and opened up the dryer only to have a cell phone cover and battery fall on the ground! Darn!  Luckily this phone still had some life in it after I put it back together.  It was fried though, and got to the point that if I wanted to use it, I would have to take off the back cover and hold the battery in a very specific position while I talked on the phone. No good!
Then I got a new phone, that soon took a dip in the toilet and died. But I soon learned from my lovely cousin Becca that phones can be saved even after such adventures in the toilet.  The key is rice, and also not trying to turn it on as soon as you can.  My problem with this phone that after I towel dried it I tried to turn it on right away, which probably short circuited it.
So the NEXT phone that took a swim I instantly dried it out and took out the battery, then stuck it in rice and, behold- the phone worked!!

Same phone that was dropped and resurrected, one day over Christmas break when Tyler and I were dating, I could not find my phone ANYWHERE. We had searched Tyler's house completely, my house, and the car.  We had searched for hours, until we realized it must have fallen out of my pocket when I was getting out of the car.  Since it was Christmas time, it had been snowing for quite a while.  We kept calling and calling my phone, and suddenly we heard pirates playing in a big snow bank.  We dug, and found my phone buried in a snowbank because it had been shoveled away!!  No damage this time!

Now on to the most recent story. Tyler and I just barely got new phones on Valentines day, so they are only three months old.  On Tuesday I was being a good wife and I decided to wash the sheets.  I jumbled up the sheets and put them in the washer. About ten minutes later I realized I couldn't find my phone anywhere, where was the place that I saw it? THE BED!!! No!!!!!!!! As soon as I realized this, it was the dryer incident all over again. I ran down the stairs three at a time and threw open the steaming hot washer and threw out all the sopping sheets, begging that phone would not be in there, when my poor phone flopped to the ground! Darn again!  But now I knew the secret of the amazing rice! It took me forever to figure out how to get the cover off and get the battery out, but I luckily had a new bag of rice on hand, and put the phone, battery, and sim card in the rice and let it sit for a day and a half.  The next day I put it back together, and crossed my fingers as I pushed the on button..... then I saw the beautiful screen turn on!!!! I jumped for joy! I love rice!!!! 

3 comments:

Angela said...

Oh man that is an amazing story! I think it was your bad luck that killed my iPod. You were the very last person to ever use it before Christine milk destroyed it. Glad to hear the rice saved your fancy shmancy phone

Shea D. said...

Super random--but what kind of phone do you have??? I am due for an upgrade...but I'm totally lost as to what I should get...

jeff said...

You really do have bad luck with phones! They make for entertaining stories to read during my lunch break!