Monday, April 27, 2009

Zions!

So I have lived down here in Cedar City for three years now, and my dear friend Hollie was completely shocked that I've never been to Zions before (well I have been there before, but I was too young to remember!) So Hollie made it her goal to take me to Zions before I got married and moved back up north.

So, a couple weeks ago I went with Hollie, her husband David, and Denise. We went on conference weekend, so we listened to conference on the radio up there, and then we went exploring during the two hours between sessions. Hollie and Denise took me to their favorite spot up there. There are some hidden ponds off the road, that no one really knows about, so we were the only ones down there. It was really beautiful. There was a river, so we just walked down the river till it was time for the second session to start.

This is actually not in Zions, this is Kolob!
We caught frogs! I didn't really kiss this one, because I've already found my prince :)


Since I loved Zions so much, we decided that we had to go one more time before school got out, so we went on study day! (who studies on study day anyways?!) Both Denise and I slept over at Hollie's last night so we could get up first thing in the morning and head down to Zions so we could spend the most time that we could there. But we really had problems of getting up and out of town, so instead of leaving at seven, like we had planned, we ended up leaving at nine! whoops! Today we wanted to do something a little more adventurous so we hiked Angel's Landing. It was about five miles long, and basically straight up the mountain! It was a really fun hike- Here's the description of the hike "The Angels Landing Trail is one of the most famous and thrilling hikes in the national park system. Zion's pride and joy runs along a narrow rock fin with dizzying drop-offs on both sides. The trail culminates at a lofty perch, boasting magnificent views in every direction. Rarely is such an intimidating path so frequented by hikers. One would think that this narrow ridge with deep chasms on each of its flanks would allure only the most intrepid of hikers. Climbers scale its big wall; hikers pull themselves up by chains and sightseers stand in awe at its stunning nobility. The towering monolith is one of the most recognizable landmarks in the Southwest." Woot woot! So like that said, its pretty intense, at the end its super narrow, and on either side of you are cliffs, and they have chains for you to hold on to! Exciting! It was a super fun hike and I'm so happy we went! Next up- The Narrows!

While we were up there, since all of us know sign language, about halfway up the trail we decided that we were going to be deaf! So we just signed to each other the whole hike! There were a lot of people on the trails, and so we got stared at a lot, it was pretty funny. Some people were nice, and tried to make hand motions to us to tell us that we didn't have far to go, or something like that. It was fun :) Ok, so this part wasn't straight up, but if you look you can see the chains!

We made it to the top! The view was A-mazing! It was super high up though!
Look! We found a hole to sit in!

And here's crazy Denise on a bridge!

No comments: