As I'm sure pretty much all of you know by now, I am pretty much the biggest BYU fan that has ever walked the face of the planet (and the most humble I might add). It was a close match between me and my Grandma, but in the end, I edged her out for the title. Anyways, as such, let me give you some amazing Official BYU Football history: Back in 2001, BYU had quite the football team. They went all the way into the top 10 that year thanks to the offensive great dueo of running back Luke Staley (who left early to go pro...sad day) and quarterback Brandon Doman. Never had a 12 year old (me) been so impressed with a quarterback. This guy could throw, he could run, heck I'm sure he could have won American Idol if he felt so inclined to do so! This guy was A-Mazing! I therefore adopted this man as my hero, I had posters of him on the wall (as shown below)

When I played backyard football (which actually was normally not played in my backyard...huh) I always pretended like I was him. I watched as he played his first game for the San Fransisco 49ers in a pre-season game in Japan (who plays football in Japan?) and cheered him on for his few short seasons in the NFL. Later he came back to BYU (hooray!) to be their quarterbacks coach, and recently was named their Offensive Coordinator. Basically, long story short, he is my hero. WELL, on January 26, 2011 I was (thanks to some amazing deals done by the Zundel's thank you!) their son and I went to the BYU vs. San Diego State basketball game (and just FYI, my ears are still ringing and my voice defiantly got Jimmered...if you are not familiar with the verb "Jimmer" please look up Jimmer Ferdette on ESPN) and got to sit on the 12th row in the student section!

It was awesome! As I sat there on the 12th row, Jason's parents motioned to the 8th row, I looked and there I beheld....

My Hero!!! I was a measly four rows from my idol! Jason kept trying to talk me in to going and talking to him, but I was too afraid! Finally, my moment came when he started walking back up the aisle. My seat was on the very end, all I had to do was reach out and give him a High-Five! He walked 9th row, 10th row, my heart my pounding, 11th row...this is it! 12th row and....with all the strength I could muster, all I got was a twitch from my elbow. My moment had passed, I had froze when the moment came. Failure. Well, the game went on and it was AWESOME! BYU won and Jimmer dropped 41ish points on them, needless to say, San Diego State got Jimmered (please refer to Jimmer Ferdette on ESPN). The crowd rushed the floor and everyone was going crazy. As the stands cleared, I looked over and saw Brandon Doman still there in the 8th row. Jason this time was hounding me, pushing and pushing, I couldn't let this moment pass again. I walked down to the 10th row...9th row...8th row...oh gosh, what am I going to say? "H-H-H-Hi there! I love you! I love you!sign my shirt!" no, no don't say that you idiot! First of all, its not even your shirt! (that's a true story) Secondly, this guy is just here to enjoy a basketball game! I'm sure he just gets sick and tired of having everyone in Provo mob him every time he goes outside! I don't want to be one of those mob people! Too late, there I was, there HE was, I reached out my left hand and hit him on the shoulder and said, "Hey Doman, how ya doing?" he smiled and said, "Good! How are you?" "Good!" I replied, and walked away. The moment came...I came, I saw, I DOMANated! Then to top it all off, as we walked up and out of the seats, he walked right next to us.

(the picture if blurry because Jason took it with my phone as we were walking...again, I didn't want to be one of those mob people) and thus ended my experience. Yes folks, I met him, I said hi and I wasn't one of those mob people. Can you say, Carpe Diem!
2 comments:
You are SO COOL for meeting the Dominator!! I remember watching those games on the TV. -Jeff
Hooray for Jeff! Someone who can share my excitment! I knew I liked you! -Tyler
Post a Comment